Unlocking Revelation (Week 10)
Is The World is Getting Worse?
Whether it is the vision of the 7 seals, the 7 Trumpets, The 7 Bowls of wrath, The rise of Babylon and the Harlot, Beasts. Scorpions. Dragons. Angels with swords. It sounds like a crazy horror movie. Some say that the Book of Revelation prophesies that the world is going to get worse and worse which will usher in the the Second Coming.
There is plenty of news that seems to tell us this. Researcher tell us that the average person today hears more negative news in one week than a person who lived 50 years ago would have heard in their lifetime.
Many Christians point to this saying that this confirms that the world is damned and that this is what Revelation shows that is necessary for Jesus to return.
Actually what we don’t realize that there are two things going on:
1> The Media pushes our buttons of fear: The media is the source of the news we hear today.Papers and news channels are businesses first and foremost. News outlets know that bad news sells. News outlets intentionally push our fear buttons to grab our attention.
2> Most of Western Eschatology is pessimistic in that it believes things will get worse before Jesus returns: Our view of the end times is a strong influencing factor in how we see the world. Science shows us that our brains are designed to validate what you believe. Our brains are wired to look for proof for what it already believes.
I want to propose to you that we need to trade our pessimistic theologies for a Kingdom one.
The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever.”
This verse tells us that the Kingdom of God will increase until it fills the earth. This sounds very hope filled.
KRIS VALLOTTON: ESCHATOLOGICAL CORE VALUES
1. I will not embrace an end-time worldview that re-empowers a disempowered devil.
2. I will not accept an eschatology that takes away my children’s future, and creates mindsets that undermine the mentality of leaving a legacy.
3. I will not tolerate any theology that sabotages the clear command of Jesus to make disciples of all nations and the Lord’s Prayer that earth would be like heaven.
4. I will not allow any interpretation of the scriptures that destroys hope for the nations and undermines our command to restore ruined cities.
5. I will not embrace an eschatology that changes the nature of a good God.
6. I refuse to embrace any mindset that celebrates bad news as a sign of the times and a necessary requirement for the return of Jesus.
7. I am opposed to any doctrinal position that pushes the promises of God into a time zone that can’t be obtained in my generation and therefore takes away any responsibility I have to believe God for them in my lifetime.
8. I don’t believe that the last days are a time of judgment, nor do I believe God gave the church the right to call for wrath for sinful cities. There is a day of judgment in which GOD will judge man, not us.
Other Sermons In This Series
September 16, 2018
November 07, 2018
October 11, 2018